This blog is now permanently located and updated regularly here - BeingTazim.com

Please visit my new blog URL!

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Jenny's Treasures Feature

Jenny creates accessories for everyday use, weddings and other special occasions. I especially like her wire creations and her jewelry made with vintage beads! The shop Jenny's Treasures features hair accessories, necklaces, earrings, rings, bracelets and even a hat!
Here are a few of my favourite things in the shop:

Tell us a bit about yourself and your family!My name is Jennifer Vance, and I live with my mom in the beautiful Oregon countryside. I have two brothers. One is married and has two kids(very cute kids,by the way). I love music, singing, dancing, laughing, being creative, photography, birds, spring, silk, and the color yellow.

Where do you create your items?
A lot of what I create is quite portable, so a lot of places. Most frequently, my bed, and outdoors. I love to have music playing on YouTube as I work.

What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
Hmm, well, it's hard to choose, but I think the Autumnal Harvest Green and Gold Earrings are my favorite.They're just so pretty and sparkly.Those smoky quartz beads I got when my local bead had a vendor come in,and had a special "Trunk Sale". I can remember going through all the bins of beads to find just the right beads, and those are one of the few strands I got. And the green beads are vintage. I think vintage beads are the bomb. I went to the High Desert Museum in Bend, and one of the exhibitions had bead-work the Native Americans did, and it was amazing. I love the seed beads that were made back then.

Apart from creating beautiful pieces, what else do you do?
Well, quite a lot! I never run out of things to do. I like to hang out with my friends, sing, write poems and song, or anything, in my journal, daydream, go for walks, read, and many other things. I'm also really getting into sewing and making my own clothes.

Any advice on selling things handmade?
Just be yourself. Be friendly, kind, and forgiving. Even if you don't make a sale, it's always important that the person you interacted with feels cherished and like they're important.It's like they're your friend in fact, I have become friends with some of the people who have bought my jewelry, and with some of the ones who haven't bought anything. Of course,have your boundaries; if someone is rude, just do your best. Don't be afraid to go for whatever goal or design or whatever you've been wanting to.

Do you photograph your own items?
Yes,I do. I don't have working camera right now, but I've always photographed my items. An etsy seller introduced me to picnik.com, and that's where I do my photo editing. My pictures were really bad in the beginning, and I didn't edit. I try to not do much with the picture, other than crop, and maybe brighten, though it's fun to sometimes add a little bit of effects.

What are your future aspirations for your business?
Well, get a new camera, take pictures, and list more of my jewelry. I'd like to get more supplies, and make some new designs I have rattling around in my head. Selling at least one item a day would be wonderful! Like I said, recently I've been getting into making clothes, so I'm hoping to have a line come out sometime. Mostly hand-stitched, with natural materials, like silk, silk/wool blend, cotton. I may start another shop for that. I also should be making some yarn for hats and scarfs to put in the shop for Fall and Winter.



Why should people buy homemade?
I think people should buy handmade cause it's fun! And different. I love going to a farmer's market and buying something from someone. You also get the opportunity to sow into that person's life, you're not only buying their product, you're empowering them to live their dream by supporting them.

Any other sites you can be found on?
I have a zibbet shop, but haven't done much with that.I've decided to focus mostly on etsy for the moment. But here's the link to it. http://www.zibbet.com/JennysTreasures
I also have a facebook, a twitter, and three blogs.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jennystreasures
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/divineromance3
Main blog: www.LifeIsMoreThanBeads.blogspot.com
Wedding/fashion blog: www.JennysWeddingDresses.blogspot.com
Photography/personal blog: www.likethegold.wordpress.com


Jenny also shared some pictures of her rabbit and things she's been working on: