This blog is now permanently located and updated regularly here - BeingTazim.com

Please visit my new blog URL!

Monday, August 2, 2010

Versatile Furniture - Sofa Tables

Traditional uses and looks
Typically, when one thinks of a sofa table they most likely think of a long and narrow piece of furniture that sits behind a sofa (thus the name). These types of furniture items generally can be seen holding large vases, lamps, and flower arrangements.
Why they're great and why I want one
Living in an apartment, I know I have to be extremely selective with any additional pieces of furniture for my place. I can't justify using anything large or single-purpose that may not work well in the next place I move to or in a different room. This is where a versatile piece of furniture would come in especially handy. A sofa console table would certainly fit well with my space requirements because it can be placed in my living room or either of the bedrooms in my current place - and moved around within those rooms, too.

The slate inlay on this sofa table makes this one seem really sturdy and beautiful. 

Want an even more versatile sofa table?
How about this one that has a fold-out top?

Other uses
The great thing about sofa tables being the shape they are is that they can be used in a variety of rooms, serving numerous functions. For instance, the other day I saw a sofa table being used against a wall as a laptop desk! What a great idea! The depth of a sofa table is perfect for using a laptop on it, and when you don't need to use it for work surfing the internet, how about using it as a buffet? I could also see a sofa table being used as a room divider, a vanity or a table upon which to eat. Oh! Wouldn't one of these be great in a front entrance? They could have a spot for incoming and outgoing mail, keys, and a lamp.

Do you have a sofa table in your place?
Where does it live and what do you use it for?