This blog is now permanently located and updated regularly here - BeingTazim.com

Please visit my new blog URL!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Artist Interview Feature - Cindy from Dixie Pixie

Artfire seller and artist Cindy Thomson let me interview her for this artist feature. Cindy creates jewelry and sells them in her Artfire shop here. Check out some of Cindy's products here:




Tell us a bit about yourself and your family!
I am 31 years old and I currently work as a public school elementary school music teacher.  I currently live in SW Kansas and teach here in a small school district but I'm a native of northern MN.  My immediate family lives up there.  I have a younger sister and brother.  My sister is married with 3 beautiful little girls... my lovely nieces.  My parents still live up there as well and I try to visit them at least 3 times a year but we are working on visiting each other more.
I have a wonderful boyfriend down here in Kansas.  His name is Lee.  He makes me laugh and is the best dance partner ever.

How did you come up with your shop name?
One year a friend of mine and I decided we wanted to make hand puppets to take the Renaissance festival with us.  She had an old pattern stowed away and we set to work making the king, princess, queen and jester puppets.  The jester ended up being my favorite.... so I made more of them.  I also had gotten into making my own jewelry about the same time and thus the name.... Fools and Jewels.  Sadly, the jester puppets don't seem to sell well so I quit making them.

Where do you create your items?
Most of them are created at home while I am sitting on my bed watching/listening to the TV.  Sometimes I take my stuff on the road and create things on my lunch break, out in the park, at a craft show and at my bf's place.

What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
That's a tough one.  I'm not certain I personally have a favorite.  I really like my newly listed steampunk pieces.

Apart from creating beautiful pieces, what else do you do?
Sing sing sing!  I perform in my area when asked and also am an active amateur actress with our local community theater.  My most recent memorable role was that of Lucy in Frank Wildhorn's Jekyll & Hyde.  I miss that show.  LOVED that role!

Any advice on selling things handmade?
Be honest in your descriptions and make sure your policies are crystal clear.  This will save you a LOT of headaches in the long run.  And decide right away your stance on "copying" other people's designs.  There are people out there who will try to get you to do this.

What are your future aspirations for your business?
I'd like to simply keep selling items so I can create more.  I have limited space and so it can be an issue.

Why should people buy homemade?
You tend to get a higher quality product.  You can often customize what you need/want to.  It's a great way to plug your local economy instead of buying imported goods.

Any works in progress?
I always have works in progress though not always jewelry.  Right now though I am working on a piece that was inspired by a friend from back home.  She wanted something that would speak to the steampunk pirate.  ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!



Where can you find Cindy?

Studio
Blog
Twitter
Facebook

____________
Want to be featured on my blog? Contact me! I will be having a virtual marketplace in October for home decor or related product sellers/makers - contact me to find out how you can get a free spot!