This blog is now permanently located and updated regularly here - BeingTazim.com

Please visit my new blog URL!

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hi Girls Studio Feature

This is the first official Studio Saturday post. Each week I will bring you a post featuring an artist's studio, some examples of their work and a short interview with them. Alternatively, or sometimes in addition to, I will feature a physical store with pictures of what they carry and more.

If you would like to be included in these features and have an online store or are an artist with pictures of your studio space (even your living room, if that is where you work!) please email me.  

I would like to introduce you to Lisa who owns the shop HiGirls. Lisa creates handbags, jewelry and household items. 

Here are some pictures of Lisa's studio space and what she has to say about it:
The floor cloth is of course handmade by me. This is a former guest room on the third floor of our victorian house. As you can see, I've made it quite comfy. Futon works as extra bed when the house is full! I especially love my folding, rolling work table. It converts into an ironing table as well.  









1) Tell us a bit about yourself and your art practiceWhat are your favourite materials to work with?
Despite getting a degree in Broadcast Journalism, for many years I owned and operated a picture framing shop and art gallery.  When life took over (ie two children and a husband with his own business) I sold the shop to focus on raising my family. I have always been interested in crafts/art and began sewing and making things as a child. I began to make purses when I went to an at- home sale of a large company that made custom bags and though "I can make these-but better".  Somewhere along the line I discovered beading and polymer clay.

2) What inspired you to start your online store?
For a few years I have been selling my things at bazaars and the occasional craft show /home sale. After getting such a good response to those events, I decided selling online seemed like the next logical step.

3) How does your art practice fit in to your life?
Since I have the luxury of being a stay-at-home mom, I can make my own hours to some extent.  I tend to be a night owl, so spend a lot of evenings managing my online store and creating new things.

4) What are your favourite materials to work with?
At the moment, my favourite materials to work with are fabric-all kinds and especially reclaimed and vintage fabrics, and polymer clay.  I learn something new every time I sit down to work on a project.  I am endlessly amazed at the work of the polymer clay artists I have met through PCAGOE and am inspired by them. 

5) Tell me about where you live and how it influences your art. 
I live in a tiny borough in PA in a Victorian house.  We are lucky to have extra space on our third floor that I have converted into my workroom.  It was so wonderful to be able to completely design this room myself to suit my needs.  
I have lived my whole life in PA and like it for the change of seasons and proximity to many major cities as well as more rural places. I am always inspired by nature and my surroundings. You never know where inspiration will come from!

Lisa creates a wide variety of amazing products, but I've selected a few of my favourites to show you: 

You can find her Facebook fan page here, and check out some more of her work on her flickr page.