This blog is now permanently located and updated regularly here - BeingTazim.com

Please visit my new blog URL!

Friday, July 2, 2010

Iconic Things - Favourite Things Project

Welcome to the first week of the Favourite (or favorite) Things Project! If this is the first time you are hearing about this new 52 week project, go here to find out all the info! You can join in any time this week and link up to this post at the bottom, or join in on the project any time this year!

I have put together this button, which you can add to your blog or post, if you like. There is also a larger version in the right hand column on this blog.
30 days, giveaways


In honour of 2 national holidays this week (Canada Day, yesterday) and Independence Day (4th of July) in North America, the first topic/theme for the project has to do with:

Iconic Things About My Country

This is a Maple Syrup candle! The great thing about this candle is that this maple syrup actually exists in this can - so it looks completely authentic. It also smells authentic - makes me crave waffles or pancakes, all the time - even when it isn't light! Maple syrup always makes me think of Road to Avonlea, the episode where Felicity is making and selling maple sugar using an old Quebec recipe. Ah, so Canadian. 


Because maple syrup is really an Eastern Canada thing, I thought I'd pick a Eastern Canadian icon as my 2nd picture. This is a stuffed bear named (by me) Grizz. This Haida Bear was created by the famous NWC Haida artist Bill Reid (you may know his Raven and the First Men work from the Canadian $20 bill). It is a replica of sorts based on the giant wooden bear that stands in the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia (one of my favourite museums, at the university I go to). 

So, what about you? What are your favourite iconic things from your country/city? 

Leave your links in this linky below, and you may be selected to be featured next week! All the links for these posts (my Friday posts) will be on the main project page so that you can go back if you'd like to link up later. 


Please leave a comment after you link up!